Some thoughts for the Church

     I know, I know. I'm really bad at this blogging stuff. In my defense, I never said I was any good. I simply responded to the plea of the people to start this thing and made no promises as to it's consistency and brilliancy! However, as the Lord saw fit for me to be born in a time where my words may be published across the globe (theoretically) with the click of a button, I couldn't very well pass up an opportunity to speak truth, spread light, and be salt!

     As usual, I have nothing profound to say - nothing that couldn't be copied and pasted from the world wide web or straight outa the Bible - but sometimes redundancy is the key. I know everyone's talking about how nasty social media has become and how divided the people are and how bleak, or depressing, or scary, or...blah blah blah. I'm done. I can't handle it. Christians, get your head out of your sorry butts and be LIGHT! Why are you fearing the world when Christ has already overcome it?! Why do you fear death when to die is gain?! Why are you looking to Washington to solve your problems when Christ is our HOPE?! Why are you demanding that government perform the work of the church when Christ commanded US to be his hands and feet?! Why has Christianity become synonymous with the American dream: Jesus said to take up your cross not your 401K! Jesus said to love your neighbour as yourself - not because he/she looks like you but because you're both made in HIS image!! Make America Great? That's not our concern! Our concern is making the name of Christ Great!! HE must INCREASE and we must DECREASE!  We are merely stewards of this great nation - but with great blessing comes great responsibility. God doesn't give us more so we can be comfortable, He gives us more to give away in HIS NAME! Success isn't Biblically defined as "health, wealth, and prosperity", but as "well done, good and faithful steward."

      How radical if the church actually lived and looked like Christ! How changed might the cultural and social climate be if we actually lived like Christ was our GOD rather than just our label.

     I heard a stat yesterday that 1 in 4 Americans will watch the Super Bowl tomorrow. ONE IN FOUR! What if those were the church attendance stats for tomorrow?! What if we recognized what entertainment has become to us? We have exchanged the GREAT I AM for the numbing and euphoric entertainments of this temporal world!  (I'm not condemning sports or TV, per se; however, a good test in general of what your god is is testing where your time and money are spent...)

     Church, we have to start living like we're dead to sin and and alive to Christ, like we're Ambassadors and heirs with Christ, like we're citizens of Heaven rather than this temporal land (that I LOVE, btw). We need to "live like we're dying" because we are. If I may quote Mark Batterson here, "stop living life as if the goal is to arrive safely at death!!" Live selflessly, love radically, and be CHRIST-LIKE not just "Christian."

If you know me at all, you know that I don't mince words: I speak truth (hopefully in love) but...
      If this stung a bit, good! That's what salt's supposed to do! But it also heals!
      If this enlightened you a bit, good! That's what Light is supposed to do! Keep examining your heart (I will too!)
     If this stirred your soul and spirit a bit, good! That's what Truth should do! Now go ACT on it!!

And do me a favour, please: stop saying this is the worst you've ever seen it! A) you've got a short memory, B) read some history books! C) it's just the most documented that it's ever been, and D) DUH! Sin! and Jesus promised we'd have tribulation! Read your Bible! *eye roll*

**Disclaimer: This is in no way a response to or stance on political policy. It is, however, a response to the church's actions and words over the last few months (the last few decades really...). "I see a generation rising up to take their place in selfless grace" - no thanks to the example of their elders. I haven't lost faith in America, but more importantly I haven't lost faith in GOD who is still Sovereign and still uses His church (in spite of our inadequacies) to further His cause! But we can do better, church!

Comments

  1. Amen, sister! I agree with you. It crushes my heart to see so much of the body in dispair over such temporality. I always enjoy hearing and reading what you have to say. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Anthony! I appreciate the feedback! And heartbreaking indeed when the church seems like it's in just as much dispair as the world - when we're supposed to have the Hope of the World!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment