Blessings Upon Blessings!

     Well, I've done it again. I've not written a word in months! I have no excuses, no defense really - just lazy! Well, that, and... no, just lazy! I could have written about 4th of July parades, and summer travels, camp, or the county fair. I might have mentioned our growing kids club programs or the many other things that have kept me busy these four months. However, I haven't. And that's an end of it.
     But let me relate some events that I always find interesting to write about: 8th grade trips to Washington, DC! I had three tours this fall - in a row - with 2 days off stuck in there and a wonderful 5 day getaway to visit friends in South Carolina afterwards.
     I didn't realize how much I missed DC until I was there. As we were landing at Dulles International Airport my first day back, a special needs boy in the back of the plane could be heard narrating our descent. "THAT has got to be the Potomac!" I heard him exclaim as we dipped down below the clouds. My own heart rejoiced at the sight of that historic river. "That has GOT to be the Potomac!" I couldn't help smiling along with him as we drew ever closer to Virginia's turf. Suddenly, our wheels made contact with the runway. "TOUCHDOWN!" He shouted, nearly jumping from his seat! I couldn't wipe the grin off my face: not only because of his joy, but because of my own at returning to my dear Capital!
Hello, Capitol!
      I ought to mention the miracle of that flight. That Sunday morning I was awoken by my alarm at 4:45: too early for me! Before dragging myself out of my warm bed, I read the text I'd received at 2:30 AM from United. "Your flight has been delayed 3 hours due to delayed flight crew." Well, then. I can sleep at least another 2 hours! :) Of course that meant I would miss my connection in Chicago, but I'd deal with that later. First thing: leave mum a post-it note about our delayed plans and get back to sleeping. Oh blessed sleep!
     Once at Green Bay's airport, I inquired about any other connecting flights at O'Hare since my original flight would be leaving before I even got of the ground in Wisconsin! The lady said the only other United flight to Dulles that day would get me to Virginia by 7PM. My group was arriving at quarter to five. That wasn't going to work! Well, nothing much I could do but wait and pray...and call my boss. The thing with working for a Christian company is that EVERYONE is in church on Sunday morning! It's kind of hard to get much tech support from the fabulous office team when they're all sitting in their respective pews singing to Jesus! BUT the thing with everyone being in church - instant prayer chain! :)
     So I sat back with a peace that passes all understanding and enjoyed my flight along the western coast of Lake Michigan. I knew that there was nothing to worry about and even less that I could do about it anyways. So why not enjoy the glorious sun reflecting of the Lake and the gentle hum of the engines while marveling at the blessing of 2 extra hours of sleep and an upcoming miracle!

Good morning, Chicago. 
     We landed. I got off the plane, and for the first time all year I didn't have to run to make a connection at O'Hare! Blessing #2! I strolled along to the UA information station where I waited. No word from my boss - he'd mentioned he'd see what he could do (not much you can do in Chicago when you're serving Communion in Wisconsin!). "Miss" was called and I stepped forward. A friendly man asked if I was headed to France or the Bahamas. Nope. Just DC. "Really? With all of those nice places I just offered!?" Yah, just DC. He rooted around his database and found that 7 o'clock flight again. That wouldn't do. "Let's look at other airlines...Oh wait! What's this? One of our own flights is headed to Dulles in 40 minutes - you're luggage will be on that flight. Would you like a seat?" Um, YES, PLEASE! That flight was due to arrive 5 minutes before my group in Virginia! As it turned out, we ended up sharing the same baggage carousel.
     What a wonderful start to a WONDERFUL week! I adored that group (the feelings may have been mutual!:). Fun and mannerly kiddos, humble and sweet chaperons, enthusiastic and inquisitive tourists, cute Tomb guards, rainy strolls in Gettysburg, Lady Washington, beautiful fall weather, great coach driver, best-guide-ever in Williamsburg, and MONTPELIER! Blessings!
James Madison's Montpelier

Comments