The Rising

Well, I'm sure you are all dying to know how my first trip with ACTS went. Allow me to elaborate. Flying from Midway airport, Chicago to Baltimore/Washington airport, Maryland, I arrived on the east coast at approximately 4pm est, February 24th. With little knowledge and no experience, I couldn't have been greener; nor could I have been more relieved to find that the group (flying from Wisconsin) was delayed - giving me the opportunity to absorb as much information from the other seasoned tour guide as we waited for an hour at baggage claim. Much that I had imagined and assumed concerning the trip was quickly dispelled by my more informed co-guide, Traci. I had hoped that I would be riding along with her on a single bus with the purpose of learning from the best; however, the group was a "two bus move" - aka, I would be responsible for a bus *by myself! One thought that had consoled me as I had fervently studied up on US & Washington D.C. history back home and momentarily as I thought of leading a bus solo was that even if I couldn't nail every historical fact, at least I could present Biblical truth to these Christian school kids- at least I have college credits in that area (and over 20 years' worth of experience & learning). However, I quickly noted that the logo on Traci's polo did not read "American Christian Tours" but "Students on Tour." This wasn't a Christian school from Weston, WI, but a PUBLIC school! No morning devotions. No singing crazy camp songs. No prayer before meals. No Biblical analogies concerning ... anything really! (That isn't to say that we don't point out our Christian heritage & the many Godly men & women that have made this nation great with SOT [and I slipped in some Jesus when talking about Corrie Ten Boom before the Holocaust Memorial Museum]; we just aren't overt about it.)
You may presume that I began to panic, but God's peace passed all understanding. And with every minute that we waited, I grew more excited to see Him use this weak vessel for his glory. Finally the group of 62 from good ol' Wisconsin arrived wide-eyed & ready for adventure. Thirty minutes later we were on the buses and headed for King Street Blues for some seriously delicious BBQ! With a 45 minute drive to Arlington & a microphone in my hand, camp Corrie came out a bit! I've participated in enough opening ceremonies & orientations to qualify me far above the average tour guide for such proceedings! Welcomes, intros, & rules were all presented with flare & warmth! :)
So, as not to bore you with details, I will instead leave you breathless by listing chronologically the things we did & places we went in the next 5 days: (WWII Memorial & Washington Monument then the Hotel Sunday night after dinner).
Monday: Mount Vernon, lunch in Alexandria; Arlington National Cemetery (wreath laying @ Tomb of the Unknown Soldier)& Marine Corps Memorial (Iwo Jima); dinner @ Pentagon City Mall; Vietnam, Korean, & Lincoln Memorials.
WI Congressman, Sean Duffy, talking to my group @ the Capitol 
Tuesday: Capitol Hill - Supreme Court, Library of Congress, Capitol (House session, lunch, & meet w/ Representative Sean Duffy); Holocaust Museum; MLK, FDR, & Jefferson Memorials.
Wednesday: White House (outside National Parks & Services tour [I scooted out at the end of the White House tour to take my D.C. Tour Guide license test - which I PASSED!]); Smithsonian Museums; lunch on the Mall; National Archives; dinner at random dinner theater in Lorton, VA.
Thursday: Ford's Theater; Newseum (& lunch); drive to Philly; Valley Forge; dinner @ Johnny Rocket's; Photo op on "Rocky Steps"
Friday: Independence Hall; Liberty Bell; lunch on street - PHILLY CHEESE STEAK!! :D; Constitution Center; Betsy Ross's House & B. Franklin's grave. Fly home!

Full moon over the Mall 
Obviously, I could tell a story or two about each of these places - lessons learned, funny feedback from the 9th graders, interesting trivia, and epic, historic experiences. However, let me just tell you one (for now) that stuck out to me. Monday as we made our way from Arlington Cemetery to the Marine Corps Memorial, we passed the Netherlands Carillon sitting atop a hill in Arlington which boasts a magnificent view of Washington. A popular place for kite flying (as apparent from the many kites half eaten in the trees), the hill that day was instead overwhelmed by photographers. Dozens of expectant men and women had gathered equipped with cameras and tripods. Curious, it was all I could do to keep the kids (and myself) moving along. What where they waiting for? Should we too ready our cameras & phones? What was the big event? Once out of the way of the many photographers, Traci stopped our group to explain: they were waiting for the perfect photo of D.C. under the full moon that night! Only 4 o'clock and they were already prepared for the rising of the moon. Indeed, the sight was glorious (note my poor attempt to capture the brilliance from the Lincoln Memorial), but to wait there for HOURS just for a picture!  Having just read through the book of Revelation, I was challenged to examine with what sort of certain expectancy am I awaiting the return of my King. His return & rising is just as sure as the moon that night, but am I prepared? What of those passing me by? Would they be reminded & inspired to wait for Him also? "'I, Jesus, [...] am the bright morning star [...] Surely I am coming soon.'" Revelation 22. 

Comments