The passing of a great man


What can I say? Two months you've waited, and I didn't even have the decency to explain my silence! Just a word could have sufficed to say that I was TOO BUSY and overwhelmed to write at length, that my life was too complicated to express in an email, but my neglectfulness has struck again. Well, I won’t waste any more time; there’s too much to tell, I’m afraid. So I shall pick up where I left off.
 When I last wrote, I was about to embark on my ACTs training trip followed by my intensive TEFL certification course. At this point, I have completed both! My trip to Richmond, Williamsburg, Jamestown, D.C., Gettysburg, Philadelphia, and New York City was a fast paced blur! Cramming all of those cities into 9 days of travel is insane! Recalling details from that overwhelmingly sensational experience is like trying to describe a trip in the Tardis (time machine) – how does one describe time as it races by? Midway through the trip I could hardly discern where we’d been, where we were going, or even where we were! Seriously, one memorial faded into the next; one President was indistinguishable from another; dates were but a pile of numbers in my befuddled brain. Now, weeks later (after my TEFL class ended), I’m finally starting to put the pieces back together – the puzzle of our nation’s history is coming together into an exciting web of a picture in my mind! And I’m now hungrily devouring American history trivia like someone preparing for Jeopardy! Historical figures are coming alive as I pour over my training books, History Channel documentaries, movies, brochures, and library books. TRIVIA FOR THE DAY: Q. Who was first called “the father of his country” and was the first elected “President” by all of the Colonies? A. (NOT George Washington, btw) Peyton Randolph! He was elected President of the 1st Continental Congress and upon returning from Philly to his home in Williamsburg, VA, he was greeted by that above title by his admirers there.
Okay, so, I’m afraid a play-by-play of that expedition is out of the question! Buy my memoir someday, but for now it must be sufficient to say that I came, I saw, I conquered! Upon returning to Chicago, I was blessed with a day of recovery – mostly time to do laundry – before embarking on my second adventure. The Monday following, I began my class in downtown Chicago. For those of you who don’t know or understand Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL), let me put it this way: my certification diploma is like a magic carpet that can fly me into (basically) any country; it’s like a key that unlocks the door to most countries around the world because English is in high demand! So, that’s the rhyme behind the reason, or the reason behind the rhyme…whichever…Anyways, my class was exceptional but grueling! Boarding the bus to downtown at 7am every morning and arriving home – at the earliest – at 8:30pm (10pm two nights a week) was exhausting! In addition, of course, I had homework; however, the majority of it was completed on the bus/train or in class. My teachers (2) were very knowledgeable and experienced, and my classmates (10) were…unique! J The variety within just the 11 of us blows my mind! Every color, religion, and continent was represented, not to mention the personality types and learning styles! Having spent nearly 200 hours with those 10 people for 4 weeks, it’s a wonder I didn’t lose my mind or kill one of them! I can’t even spend that much time with my dearest friends without going Crazy! But by the grace of God I completed with honors and any day now will be receiving my certificate from the UK!
Again, time prevents me from relating the details of my class; let me assure you that it is no lack of stories that keeps me from extending this email, but rather an overwhelming abundance thereof! You may be asking yourself, “Why has this insane girl neglected to keep me abreast with her life and instead merely teased me with an outline of her potentially exceptional stories?” Forgive me. Let me explain…
All has not been well. As you may recall, my last Chronicle briefly mentioned my dear, sweet, hilarious grandpa and how he’d generously opened his doors to his homeless granddaughter in spite of his potential health issues. Well friends, the “health issues” turned out to be stage 4 pancreatic cancer which last week claimed his life. However, in that moment he was forever united with his Heavenly Father for whom he’d so faithfully served over the years! Praise the Lord our parting is only for a short while; and what joy awaited my grandpa with my Jesus! I have to say, I’m a bit jealous! But I will rejoice with those who rejoice – and I know my grandpa is dancing on the streets of gold giving all the glory to God, and so I will give glory to God as well – for the cherished memories, the gift of salvation, the blessing of time spent with grandpa in his last few weeks before the cancer overcame him, and the dear body of believers here in Palos Hills who are so supportive of me and my family.  So, friends, all may not be well but “it is well…with my soul”! I have so appreciated your prayers and thank you for their continuance as I seek God’s plan for my life with these changing circumstances. For now I will be staying on in Chicago until my grandfather’s house sells, so that could be weeks, months…only my Father knows!  But until He chooses to move me, come visit!! I have a huge, empty house: I would love guests! J
Well friends, I pray your Thanksgiving was blessed and that your Christmas season will be equally so! In the hustle and bustle of December, don’t forget to give God the glory for the gift of His Son!
Yours truly,

Comments