CCC #2: AmeriCorps Training


I entitle this Chronicle “the most boring letter in the history of…the world”! Really, I have nothing to say that is of interest to anybody, I’m quite certain.  If you read these Chronicles merely to be amused at my expense, then I suggest you read no further, as this Chronicle is not but a summary of the details and quirks of my position and co-workers.
Forgive me for wasting your time (though, in my defense, you have been warned), but I fear I must begin several weeks ago.  As alluded to in my last Chronicle, I am serving at the Boys and Girls Club of Rice Lake: that is only partially true. Technically, I am serving as a full-time volunteer with AmeriCorps (the domestic PeaceCorps) stationed at the BGC club. (as a volunteer we technically don’t receive wages, just a living allowance and insurance).Anyways, technicalities aside, I am working at the Rice Lake Teen Center (the “club”) with another AmeriCorps member, Reese. From 1-3:30 I work downstairs at my computer on our Teen Programs (I’m in charge of “Triple-play” [games], “Teen Art”[arts & crafts], & “Diversity Club” [culture studies]).  And from 3:30-7 we run programming, and then I drive the kids home. And 7-8pm= paper work!
Last week, September 13-16, I and 6 other AmeriCorps members from Rice Lake were sent to a YMCA camp an hour away for our mandatory Marshfield AmeriCorps training where nearly 90 Tribal & Marshfield Clinic AmeriCorps members from Northern & Western Wisconsin came together to bond, learn the lingo, and be informed concerning Red Cross Volunteers, Indian Sovereignty, how to recruit volunteers, and how to submit timesheets. Yes, it was all terribly boring, but they gave us lots of free stuff and an excessive amount of wonderful snacks, so it made up for the dry and seemingly pointless lectures.  I will not tire you with details of our accommodations, the food, the free time activities, the weather,  or even how much I did or didn’t like it; however, I will relate in part our Wednesday night Show.  That afternoon, the camp was divided into two groups: one group was to prepare a themed dinner, complete with servers, decorations, menus, and a full-course meal. The other half of camp was selected to prepare, present and perform a spectacular show for the amusement of the other half (and themselves as well). I was part of the chosen performers. One of the only requirements of our show was that we select three songs from a given list to lip-sink to. Too late to join the swing dance song, and refusing to go along with the Lady Gaga group, I suggested we select the very contextually appropriate song from the list: “YMCA”! No one else cared enough to object, so “YMCA” it was! We were to be the closing act.
The show was sensational! The set, the seating, the lights & effects, the programs, the tickets, the VIP sections, the ushers, the security, the paparazzi, the hosts, the guest judges (Anna Nichole Smith, Pink, & Brett Favre),  and especially the performances where completely believable (very impressive for only 3hours of prep time). With us three performers dressed as YMCA staff (lifeguard, aerobics teacher, & kickball coach), our song produced exactly the reaction we were looking for: laughter & audience participation!  Even Lady Gaga joined us on stage… (My personal favorite part of our act was my throwing my playground ball spontaneously into the crowd! J)
One other thing I must mention from our training week is the subtle plotting of my team member, Angie. A 30-some year old from Columbia, Angie came to the States just over 2 years ago when she married her Wisconsinite husband (they met on Catholicmatch.com J ). Still so Columbian in many ways and excessively talkative and funny, I found myself loving her! We were together most of the time during our training; and when it came to meal times, we nearly always sat together. Being very social, Angie always chose a seat for us in the midst of a crowd: often awkwardly placing us at a distance from each other with several men in between. I, on the other hand, am not so social; so though surrounded by people, I usually sat quietly or attempted to talk with her several seats down…wondering all the while why she insisted on sitting with so many people when empty tables were clearly available.  
One evening after our programming, she and I along with several others of our team members were talking of random things when their conversation turned suddenly to my lack of a boyfriend.  I told them they needn’t worry themselves about me: I had plenty of “helpful” (NOT!) people already trying to find me a mate. Angie interjected, “yeah! Me!” I was confused. She continued, “why do you think we sit always with all those nice-looking men?  So, you can talk to them! But noooo, you ruin my plans! You don’t talk to them! If I were you…!” I couldn’t stop laughing! “Why are you laughing? I’m serious! You already know how much they make! And you know they have insurance!” Too Funny! I never even guessed that was why we always sat with all the cute guys! …(And for those of you still wondering, yes, her plan failed! J No godly men at that training! Maybe next time, Angie; maybe next time!)
Now, I must bide you farewell and beg your forgiveness: this Chronicle is indeed the worst ever composed!! I hope I have not lost your trust, my faithful friends; I assure you, I will strive to do better. I will truly dedicate myself to the betterment of my Chronicles and shall endeavor never to waste your time again as I have today!
Yours apologetically,
~Corrie~

P.S. FYI, my Chronicles are usually best if read aloud in a British accent J

Comments