Corrie's Chronicles - Student Teaching #1



Well, my friends, student teaching has begun!  And as promised, I've set about to record and relate the exciting, funny, and just plain random events that I seem to find myself in. I know you're not missing me yet, because your still in your nice cozy homes and not back to school yet, but I figured I'd better start before I get too far behind...
In spite of the fact that I'm supposed to be only observing for the first two weeks, I've already been given random assignments: many of which don't even pertain to school. Take last night for instance: I had been asked by my host family (the Winters) if I would be willing to or desiring to join their church choir. I assured them that I would love to (especially since I would have to come to practices anyways, since the whole family is involved), but I wasn't sure if I could or should start this week because I've an annoying cold that has prevented me from even speaking much of late. They asked me what part I sang. I hesitated to tell them the "drama" surrounding that question, but ignored my better judgment and proceeded to tell them that "I've sung soprano my whole life, but had recently been 'informally diagnosed' as an alto" (thank you David Williams!)...ANYWAYS, the very moment I entered the church Sunday night, I was promptly handed a large binder of music, told I would be singing alto, and would be seated with the tall people in the back ( next to total strangers). This lady, whom I'd never met before, asked no questions and obviously expected none to be asked of her. So, I simply climbed the stairs and sat down with a smirk. The leader jumped right into random measures of songs I had never heard before ( let alone sung alto in!). I couldn't help but laugh at the ridiculousness of the situation and my big fat mouth!... After 45minutes of following along with the girl next to me, I began to think that I could get the hang of it....that is, until I realized that the choir was singing that very evening!!!

 Ha ha...that's a good one. but I did; whether on tune or not, I'll never know. But there I was - litttle Miss 'Hockanay" as the pastor called me from the pulpit - singing my little heart out - trying not to laugh out loud at the situation...or stick out too much!...talk about quick integration! These people do not hesitate to plug me in wherever necessary: today I was given the PE class, they want me to teach Jr. church and maybe Sunday school sometime. Tomorrow I'm supposed to teach about gathering information for a research paper ( I don't even remember how - that was so long ago!)...well, friends, I realize that the retelling of my story isn't nearly as funny as the real thing, but honestly, it was so weird and random!
I'll keep you posted with any new funniness! Take care all!
Miss you guys
~Corrie~


Comments